Dr. Simanti Bandyopadhyay is currently associated with School of Management and Entrepreneurship, Shiv Nadar University, India as a Professor in Economics and Public Policy Area. Her professional experience consists of research, consultancy and teaching for nineteen years. She works on applied development economics, mainly related to public finance and public policy. She works on different policy related issues which are mostly empirical in nature. She has done her Ph.D. in Economics on a UGC fellowship from the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi and has been an International Centre for Tax and Development (ICTD) Post-doctoral Fellow at the Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, USA and Institute of Development Studies, UK. She has visited various universities and research institutions of repute in India and abroad for assignments on research, teaching and research guidance and has also been a recipient of Mac Arthur Foundation Award. A regular contributor of research articles and an external reviewer to many international journals on public policy, economics and operations research, Simanti has led important projects on urban issues and has worked closely with organizations like World Bank, ADB, UNDP, IFMR, ICRIER, Planning Commission and different Ministries and Commissions. She has also been the Chief Researcher for the background study of the Fourth State Finance Commission of the state of Tamil Nadu, India. She learns Hindustani Classical Music (vocal) and has a passion for music in particular and any form of art in general. She takes a lot of interest in cooking, reading, photography and travelling.
For the details of publications, visiting appointments & scholarly activities, please click here.
Public Finance and Public Policy
- Urban Finance and infrastructure
- Urban Governance
- Analysis of Fiscal health of governments
- Decentralisation of functions and funds
- Revenue Mobilisation, Expenditure Management
- Estimation of Taxable Capacity and Expenditure Needs: Fiscal Gap Analysis
- Determinants of Fiscal Gap
- Real Estate Markets
- Education Sector
- Efficiency in service delivery
- Institutional arrangements in service delivery
- Estimation of Cost of Service Provision
- Interaction between State and local Finances: Intergovernmental Transfers
- Agglomeration Economics, Urban poverty
Issues related to Industrial Performance in India
- Performance of Industries under different policy regimes
- Determinants of Productivity and efficiency of Industries
- Simulation of alternative policy regimes for environmental management
- Strategies for Environmental Management for industries
- Efficiency Analysis of industries
Tools for Quantitative Analysis: Statistical and Mathematical Programming Techniques
- Exploratory Data Analysis
- Parametric Econometric Techniques
- Performance Evaluation Techniques: parametric and non-parametric
- Data Envelopment Analysis
- Stochastic Production Frontier Analysis
- Data Reduction Methods: Factor Analysis
- Recipient of Mac Arthur Foundation Award for writing a paper on ‘Performance Evaluation of Urban Local Governments: A case for Indian Cities’. This award was given to six researchers in different fields across Asia.
- Awarded a Post-Doctoral Fellowship by International Centre for Tax and Development (ICTD), Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK for two months (May-June, 2011) to visit Andrew Young School of Public Policy, Georgia State University, USA and Institute of Development Studies, UK.
- Awarded University Grants Commission (UGC)-Junior & Senior Research Fellowships (1996-2001)
- Qualified National Eligibility Test for Lecturership (1994)
- Qualified State Level Eligibility Test for Lecturership (1994) for West Bengal
- Awarded Merit Scholarship by Government of West Bengal for outstanding performance in Secondary Examination.